Entry requirements


If you are a British passport holder visiting Chile for less than 90 days, you do not require a visa.  If you wish to stay longer, you should consult the nearest Chilean Embassy.  On arrival in Chile the Immigration Authorities will issue you with a “Tarjeta de Turismo - Tourist Card”, an A5 sized white form. You need to retain this document and present it to Immigration on leaving the country. Once in Chile, if you decide to stay for 90 days or more, you should approach the Chilean Immigration Department located in San Antonio 580, Santiago.  Tel: 56 2 550 2469.

Passport validity

You must hold a valid passport to enter Chile. Your passport must be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required. However, it is always sensible to have a short period of extra validity on your passport in case of any unforeseen delays to your departure. You do not have to wait until your old passport expires to apply to renew it. Any time left on your old passport when you apply will be added to your new passport, up to a maximum of nine months. For passport applications in the UK, you should apply to the Identity and Passport Service.

British-Chilean dual nationals may enter Chile using their British passport, but may require a Chilean passport to leave the country. Chilean entry and exit requirements for dual nationals may change without notice.

Travelling with children   

For information on exactly what will be required at immigration please contact the Chilean Embassy in London

Chile has strict requirements for the entry and exit of minors under the age of 18.

Children born in Chile require a Chilean passport to leave.

A minor who entered Chile as a tourist should leave on departure with the same adult companion with whom they entered Chile. Upon entering Chile, the details of the adult companion will be noted on the minor’s immigration record. If the minor is required to exit alone or with a different party, a letter of consent from both parents to exit Chile will be needed. If the minor entered Chile with both parents but is exiting with only one parent, a letter of consent will be required from the non-travelling parent. All letters of consent must be obtained from a notary public in Chile or if outside the country, from the local Chilean Embassy or Consulate.

British minors resident in Chile and departing alone or in the company of another party, will be required to submit an authorisation executed before a local notary public from the non-travelling parent(s).

Please contact the local Chilean authorities or the Chilean Embassy in London for further information.

Emergency Travel Document (ETD)

If you lose your passport while in Chile, we may in certain circumstances be able to issue an Emergency Travel Document (ETD). Please be aware that, if you are an ETD holder and you wish to travel on to Argentina or to the USA, you will need to obtain a visit visa for those countries.



There are good health facilities in Santiago and the major cities, but private clinics and hospitals are expensive. Air pollution in Santiago during winter (June-September) is a major problem. You may therefore suffer from eye irritation and respiratory problems.


There are sporadic cases of cholera outside Santiago and typhoid and Hepatitis B are fairly common, especially during the warm season, which lasts from December to March in central Chile. (Cholera and Typhoid are food and water borne diseases).


Dengue fever is common to Latin America and the Caribbean and can occur throughout the year.  In Chile the only area reported still to be occasionally affected is Easter Island (Isla de Pascua). No fatalities have been reported.


In the 2010 Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic the UNAIDS/WHO Working Group estimated that around 39,000 adults aged 15 or over in Chile were living with HIV; the prevalence percentage was estimated at around 0.4% of the adult population compared to the prevalence percentage in adults in the UK of around 0.2%. You should exercise normal precautions to avoid exposure to HIV/AIDS. For more general information on how to do this see HIV and AIDS.


Seek medical advice before travelling to Chile and ensure that all appropriate vaccinations are up-to-date. For further information on vaccination requirements, health outbreaks and general disease protection and prevention visit the websites of the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) and NHS Scotland’s Fit for Travel or call NHS Direct on 0845 46 47.


For further health advice from the NHS:

Click NHS UK


Image Gallery

This site uses cookies. By continuing your visit, you accept their use as set out in our Cookie Policy. OK